Sunday, June 14, 2009

Natural Bridges

This trip actually had 2 parts--camping and day hiking in Natural Bridges National Monument and then Backpacking down into Dark Canyon. Natural Bridges was first.



Here I am at our camp--just open BLM land. No "facilities." I'm wearing my new hiking skirt. I wasn't sure how practical it would end up being, but I loved it! It's a winner. I'm still loving my little Big Agnes tent and my Big Agnes integrated sleeping system. Equipment these days is unbelievable! I took this trip with my neighbor, Jody Barney. We were "alone together", meaning that we each had our own tents and food and pretty much took care of ourselves. We hiked together, but I also spent a fair amount of "alone" time reading and meditating and wandering. Camping and hiking simply infuses me with life!





















This was my first trip with my Kindle. It worked Great! No worries about reading too much and running out of what I brought. I finished "Outliers" which I had been half done with and then I started "The Magician" (and got 3/4 way through) .





















Here I am starting the descent into the canyon which has Sipapu Natural Bridge. My backpack is pretty cool in that I can take it apart and have a small backpack with a water bladder and also a fanny pack for 10 essentials and lunch.





















Here I am at Sipapu Natural Bridge. I love natural bridges. This was a neat hike because we got to walk under 3 of them. It was a 8 1/2 mile loop.
















Here I am at the second bridge, Kachina. All these bridges have Native American names, if you hadn't noticed. :) Originally "white men" named them President, Senator and Congressman, in order of height. then they were renamed Agusta, Caroline and Edwin by explorer groups. Finally the General Land Office assigned Hopi names (inspired by nearby Puebloan structures).


























Kacina has some cool petroglyphs. Here's an animal.






















And here's a human.





























Owachomo is the oldest of the three bridges. This view shows how narrow and thin it's getting. Remember last year one of the bridges at Arches collapsed? :( Owachomo is headed for that, but likely not in our lifetimes. You can see Jody in the corner of this pic--she's taking a picture.















Here I am at Owachomo

























And finally back at the parking lot. Then we headed off 2 hours to the Dark Canyon trailhead.

1 comment:

janae said...

You are one brave woman to do so much alone! I couldn't handle it, I'm too much of a social creature. I love that you do all this outdoor stuff. So cool!